Musings Break

Do you ever have so much energy and excitement for something that it 100% consumes you, only to see it slowly fizzle out? Picture a shaken up bottle of soda, or a tea kettle on a hot stove, or a firecracker bursting, loud and full of light before disappearing into the night.

That is basically me when it comes to most things I am passionate about, including reading and writing, even this very blog. I find so much joy in writing but the minute it starts feeling like a task on a to-do list, my excitement takes a turn towards anxiety and I never fully recover. If I tell myself, 'You have to post every Monday, because, like "Monday Musings" is so catchy..' then every Monday morning I wake up feeling like I have my work cut out for me. Don't get me wrong, almost all of my posts were written in one session, on a Monday morning, about whatever happened to be on my mind at the moment. Even if writing sometimes felt like a task, I was still satisfied enough with my morning musing to click "publish". But what if I wasn't particularly inspired that day? Or what if life was consuming too much of my mental capacity to allow my creative juices to flow? What then?

If anyone reading this can relate, I want you to know it's okay to take a "musings break"; it's okay to step away from something you are passionate about just so you come back with a fresh perspective. If you start to feel bogged down or obligated, that's a telltale sign that maybe you should take a step back. As a person who practices lots of compassion for others (Go social work!) and has a hard time practicing self-compassion, I urge you to give yourself some time, get some sun, don't come back until you feel that same burst of energy and firecracker full of love and passion! My main goal in creating this blog was to flex my writing skill muscles. I never knew that in writing and in not-writing I would learn a lesson or two in self-love. Thanks for reading, I'll be back when I have something to say!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Enough.

Nothing But Bhangra

Fire-breathing Dragon