Davis Dayzzzz

Let's talk about life as it was 10 years back. What kind of Gagan was the world dealing with a decade ago? Tall, lanky, freshly faced with independence and adulthood. Its Fall time and a nervous energy starts taking over. What is college going to be like? Will I make friends? Is homesickness going to consume me? On day one of moving into the dorms, another tall lanky Punjabi girl comes up to me and out of nowhere knows exactly who I am, where I'm coming from and feels we have too much in common to not be friends - fast forward 10 years and she marries her college sweetheart, all of us day one dorm girls celebrating with her.

Living on an all girls floor of the dorms - rushing to class, skipping class to sleep, making lifelong friends - all of it is a blur of laughs, stress, and occasional drama. We get in food fights, covering the walls of our dorm in chocolate syrup and ketchup. We drive to Denny's at 3am, two people stuffed into the trunk, ordering cheese fries until our stomachs hurt. Turns out I'm not too shabby at this college thing. There is no other time in life like it, leaving home to embark on a journey of success, missteps, partying all night and studying til my eyes are bloodshot.

One night, around 3am, I'm having a heart to heart with my roomie talking about how if I'm still single at 22 I am FOR SURE getting an arranged marriage. I'm explaining that my sisters will no doubt find me a suitable bachelor. I am convinced this is the path for me. My roomie/bestie/niece reassures me that there has to be someone on this planet who would date me (haha). It turns out there are some eligible bachelors, some not so eligible bachelors, and eventually a lifelong love who enters at an indignant "I don't NEED a boyfriend to be happy" time of my life.

The point of all this nostalgia is to remind myself, and some of you reading who can relate, to take a step back and marvel at who you were then and who you are today. Damn look how far we've come!!! A decade of adulthood is about the time you need to become the real you. Here we are, products of those college days, coming for the next ten years with that same type of excited energy. May these next 10 be as glorious as the last 10!




Can yall guess what song this post was inspired by? Some of you already know: Sharry Mann, 'Hostel' https://youtu.be/Kd57YHWqrsI - enjoy !!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Enough.

Fire-breathing Dragon

Brother Bear